Subject: UNIX Moria

From: Buckaroo Banzai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 09:04:58 CDT

No, I haven't looked at your sources yet.  There are some serious bugs
in the original, which I hope you caught (naturally, I didn't keep a
list of them :-( ).  I, too, corrected the zillions of spelling
mistakes.  Mine doesn't pass lint or run on SYS V.  I haven't decided
how to deal with the rogue-ists who want to use h,j,k,l, etc.

I do have a help program and an extended help library.  I've also made
some changes to make the game better.  EG:

   - you can now recover items from thieving monsters.

   - when monsters drop treasures, they are dropped where the player
   can recover them, instead of inside walls.

   - priests' spells are a little better - they now have
   Word-Of-Recall as a high-level spell.

   - breath weapons, fireballs, etc. now affect everyone in the blast
   radius, including the player and monsters.

   - monsters are now a little smarter about which spells they use (eg
   no fireballs from range 1; no teleport-to-me spells from range 1).

   - a number of useful hints/noises have been added (eg. a
   multiplying monster now goes 'POP'; some potions have helpful
   messages - not giveaways; just enough so that they don't all appear
   to be no-ops).

   - there are error traps and messages (eg lots of places where there
   was no 'default' case on a switch) so that the game doesn't do
   funny things.

   - the shops' inventories have been fixed up so that more and more-
   useful items are available  (shop inventories can now be multiple
   pages instead of just two).

   - there's a Yes/No prompt for accepting a character or re-rolling.

   - the save file is expanded so that the monster list is kept; as it
   was, you could escape a monster by saving and restoring.

   - there was a bug whereby if you were carrying 10 +2,+2 arrows and
   picked up 10 +0,+0 arrows you'd end up with 20 +2,+2 arrows.
   That's fixed.  There was a bug whereby if you ever got too many
   treasures on a level, the game could go into an infinite loop.

There are others, but I can't remember them off the top.  I assume the
moria files are on ji.berkeley.edu?  What directory?

--Alan